Tuesday 24 May 2011

Lightning Strikes at Vimy Ridge

Today I cried tears of awe, tears of sympathy, and tears of disappointment.
We arrived at the majestic monument on a windy day in May. My heart fluttered when I saw the beautiful pillars reaching for the sky from the distance. I could believe that I was finally getting to see, touch and get up close and personal with this famous Canadian Landmark. When I got off the bus my eyes filled with water. Now I'm not too sure if it was for the wind or the fact that I was actually there. As I walked up to this beautiful white monument, I felt so small. There are over 20 statues on Vimy Ridge, my favourite is that representing Canada. A mourning woman, looking over a tomb representing the 11,422 soldiers whose names are engraved upon the walls. It brings such emotion to the entirety of remembering those who died in the Battlefields.
My tears of sympathy came with Jen's presentation of her individual soldier. A young boy whose last letter to his parents was written with humour, but unfortunately did not reach his parents until 12 years after his death. Tears flowed through the entire Field School as we listened with open ears and breaking hearts. Even our Professor, Stephen Davies, was wiping his eyes. It was a beautiful moment.
Before we had lunch, our last stop before heading to the Beaumont-Hammel Memorial, was to walk through the tunnels at Vimy Ridge. Another point of anticipation for me. We were split into 2 groups, myself being in the 2nd group. As we got our safety presentation and small history lesson from our Canadian Student Guide, we waited for the 1st group to exit the tunnel. Just as we reached the door, a radio announcement stopped us in our tracks. Lightning had struck in the region and the tunnels had to be closed for 1 hour; according to health and safety. This brought on the tears of disappointment. Were we going to have come all this way to not be able to view this essential piece of the Vimy Ridge Memorial?!
Stephen was not going to have any of this, and booked us the first tour, one hour from then. Needless to say, even though we had an appointment 2.5hrs from then, to be at Beaumont-Hammel; and the drive was 1hour, we got to go into the tunnel. I think it was actually better waiting, as the 1st group didn't get as much detail or as much time 8 meters underground, like we did. The maximum time a group can be underground is 25 minutes, we got to be in there for 17 minutes. I made a video of the entire thing, something I can't wait to share with anyone who will watch it.
Vimy Ridge was a fantastic day, with extreme emotion. Definitely a day I will never forget!

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment