Friday 6 May 2011

Let the learning begin!

Jenn Fink and mine's European Adventure began in Paris on May 4th 2011, but today we met up with our Field School Group CDG. 
With jetlagged students in tow we began our trip with Julien (our bus driver) to Ypres Belguim.  We made a quick stop at a French bus stop (where I know Jenn and mine's French came in handy) and continued on to a Commonwealth Cemetery (Bedford House). 
Although I knew that this entire trip was going to be emotional I didn't realise I would shed tears the first day.  It was just so hard to see the ages and names of the young men who died in the Great War, and World War Two.  It is one thing to read about them, learn about and talk about them, but to stand over someone's grave learn their name age and where they were from is very hard.  Also all too many of them were unknown soliders. 
I was very impressed with the up keep of the cemetery, it shows that people still care and remember theses braves souls, even today, almost 100 years after.

When we got to Ypres we checked into our hostel and were given a chance to explore the town.   I love all the buildings over here for their history and their beauty.  It is truely a site to see.

Well it has been a long day of travels. Time for bed.
I will post again soon!

Kimberly Ethier

No comments:

Post a Comment